After restoring my friend’s iPhone 6, I realised the new phone couldn’t set up. In order to pass the Hello screen, you need to press the home button.
His home button is broken. There is no home button to click and we were stuck at the hello screen.
No, we are not going to replace the home button.
How to set up your iPhone when your home button is not working
- Connect your iPhone, to a computer with iTunes installed.
- In iTunes, select your device.
- From the Summary pane, click Configure Accessibility in the Options section at the bottom.
- Select the Voice Over and click OK.
- Double tap on the Press home to open text.
Once you are pass the first screen, you can progress through the rest of the steps without the Voice Over activation.
Update in 2020 April
This post was written in 2017 for an iPhone 6 running iOS 10. I’ve gotten a lot of good feedback that this method has helped them restore their iPhone.
But I suspect it may not work for newer versions like iOS 12 or iOS 13.
If it has worked for you, please a comment what iOS version and which iPhone/iPad you got it to worked on.
I will update the post accordingly so that future readers will know, thank you so much!